Tuesday, March 2, 2010
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Bone is in a Constant State of Remodeling
Bone is living tissue that is continually remodeling, a process that primarily consists of resorption (breaking down) and formation. osteoclast cells remove old and damaged bone tissue. The osteoblasts and osteocytes create a new bone matrix—the web-like, micro-architecture of bone— that incorporates minerals to give bone its density and hardness. If healthy remodeling changes with age, new bone growth may occur on a less dense matrix, negatively impacting bone quality and strength. Bone density and bone quality are not interchangeable terms. Bone density = hardness,
Bone Matrix Quality = tensile strength. Bone needs a strong matrix to hold it all together as well as bone hardness.
Bone physiology shifts with age
As a result, postmenopausal bone health needs are different. As a woman enters her fourth decade of life, the ability to maintain peak bone mass declines as resorption and remodeling gradually change. The steady decline of estrogen and other risk factors such as smoking, inactivity, gastrointestinal inflammation or malabsorption, chronic use of antacids and diabetes may contribute to an increase in bone resorption. Research suggests that biomarkers of bone matrix quality and strength are not significantly influenced by mineral intake alone.
Ostera: All natural support for Healthy Remodeling and Cal Apatite: for Healthy Mineralization
Ostera fills the gap in postmenopausal bone support to help women stay vital and active. How? Ostera promotes healthy bone remodeling to favor Bone Matrix Quality and strength in women with low estrogen and is clinically shown to be more effective than diet and exercise alone. Cal Apatite comes in several varieties such as with added Vit. D or magnesium or in capsules, tablets or chewables. They provide a full spectrum of macro and trace minerals including calcium that naturally comprise healthy bone and supports bone mineralization and quality. The combination of these two products provides clinically demonstrated nutritional support for healthy bone mineralization and remodeling to help you stay healthy and active.
Friday, March 20, 2009
The World’s Polluted—You Don’t Have to Be!
Environmental Pollution: A Growing Threat
According to the Environmental Protection Agency and other leading sources, U.S. industry releases over 4 billion pounds of toxic chemicals—including 72 million pounds of recognized carcinogens—into the environment each year.1,2 This environmental pollution puts your patients at risk for exposure to heavy metals such as:
- cadmium, which is inhaled from polluted air and eaten in food raised in contaminated soil
- lead, which comes from numerous sources, including drinking water, contaminated soil, household dust, and lead-based paint in older homes.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Third National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals, 1.6% of all American children ages 1 year to 5 years have elevated blood lead levels—and about 5% of the population aged 20 and older have high urinary cadmium levels.3
MetalloClear: A Clear Difference
Fortunately, you can fight back against our polluted environment with MetalloClear, a revolutionary approach to enhancing heavy metal metabolism. MetalloClear helps patients stay healthy in a toxic environment by providing specialized support to naturally enhance the body’s clearance of specific heavy metals that can negatively impact health and vitality.
Research suggests that metal-binding proteins called metallothioneins (MTs) play an important role in heavy metal detoxification.4,5 Zinc, in turn, plays a central role in the metal-inducible transcriptional activation of metallothionein and other genes involved in metal homeostasis and cellular stress response.4,5 MetalloClear is made from a proprietary formula containing zinc (as zinc citrate), Andrographis (Andrographis paniculata), Turmeric (Curcuma Longa), Hops (Humulus lupulus), and Luduxin®†.
Exciting new research* suggests that MetalloClear’s ingredients:
- Support the clearance of specific heavy metals, but do not facilitate the excretion of certain healthful minerals such as calcium, magnesium, selenium, and zinc
- Have no serious reported adverse effects, unlike some other approaches
* Based on clinical evaluations at the Functional Medicine Research CenterSM—the clinical research arm of Metagenics.
† Luduxin® consists of reduced-iso-alpha acids (from hops extract, Humulus lupulus) and magnesium salt produced via a proprietary process.
- Scorecard: The Pollution Information Site. Pollution Locator: Toxic Chemical Releases. www.scorecard.org/env-releases/us-map.tcl. Accessed March 19, 2008.
- Environmental Protection Agency, TRI Explorer. Releases: Chemical Report. http://www.epa.gov/cgi-bin/broker?view=USCH&trilib=TRIQ0&sort=_VIEW_&sort_fmt=1&state=All+states&county=All+counties
&_program=xp_tri.sasmacr.tristart.macro. Accessed March 19, 2008.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Third National Report on Human Exposure to Environmental Chemicals 2005. http://www.cdc.gov/exposurereport/report.htm. Accessed March 20, 2008.
- Yongyi B, Palmiter R, Wood K, Qiang M. Induction of metallothionein I by phenolic antioxidants requires metal-activated transcription factor 1 (MTF-1) and zinc. Biochem J 2004;380(6):695-703.
- Saydam N, Adams T, Steiner F, Schaffner W, Freedman J. Regulation of metallothionein transcription by the metal-responsive transcription factor MTF-1. J Biol Chem 2002;277(73):20438-20445
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.